Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Feedback

Since starting this blog, I've received emails and phone calls from various Town Councilors and others. Sometimes it's to add information about a subject that I didn't know, give me history on a particular topic, ask me to write about something or just to generally "set me straight."

While I've never asked people to contact me, I expect some response to the things I write. This is my blog, we live in a small town and I don't hide behind any kind of fake identity. Heck, my picture is right on the page. 


It's generally been a positive experience (even if the feedback hasn't always been.)

That's why I was surprised when Mike LaBranche suggested on Facebook that I should talk to him and Al Zink "prior to expressing your opinions." He went on to ask if I had sat down with "Adam or Josh to discuss your concerns with their voting record. I am sure there are reasons for everything that they did that you did not agree with." And then followed it up with "I guess shoot first, ask questions later is followed by more people than I thought." 

Seriously?



While I do my best to present factual information, I don't pretend to be a reporter and I've never suggested that this is anything other than my opinion - an opinion that I have tried to express in a balanced way. This is a blog, remember. 

I know that criticism can be hard hear, but since when is it not OK to question our elected officials? 

How they respond is up to them.

6 comments:

  1. I agree, Toni. That response is off base in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Mike feels that before we form our opinions we should go ask them to clarify their positions, maybe they should do a better job making those positions clear in the first place.

    I guess shooting the messenger and not addressing the message is par for the course, especially for one particular counselor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Mike.

      One of the things that Al said at that meeting was that he didn't feel the Efficiency Committee had the support of the community. I offered some suggestions on how to better get support. I think the Town Council (and the School Board) need to work on their messaging and focus on how they get info out to the community.

      I've expressed that to them both on the blog and through email to all of the councilors. They are good people (and I've never suggested otherwise) but they are lousy communicators.

      Delete
  3. Toni, I know a lot of people who respect you and your opinion more that that of the elected officials you speak of. So in a way a lot of people look for your guidance because you do your homework and present the facts and your opinion based on the facts. Rock on Toni!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toni,i personally like your participation and comments on our town concerns.We as I have said before ask these representatives to represent us.,all of us.It appears that some dont want to be questioned about their personal voting records because they know it doesnt represent us but their OWN interests.Adam and Davenport voted to have a lot of things changed from the way they have been done because they have a personal interest in changing the rules so only those in power can get the results they want.Not very Democratic.Keep voicing your concerns and you certainly dont need approval from anyone.

    ReplyDelete