Thursday, December 20, 2012

Why can't we just have a bake sale?

I've attended 2 budget committee meetings this week and I have a few thoughts to share:
  • Someone needs to explain the preschool program at the Elementary School to Russ Simon. And not just the preschool program at the school, but preschool in general. It's been a long time since some of the Budget Committee members have had kids in Pre-K, and my guess is that maybe things have changed a little. I really wanted to raise my hand and explain how it works. For the record, we've attended both a private Pre-K and utilized the Pre-K at the elementary school due to my son having an IEP, so I think I have a pretty well-rounded perspective. Just the hint that the Pre-K at the elementary school might need to be "looked at" because revenue is down, shows that the Budget Committee members don't understand the program. 
  • It's no secret that the majority of the budget is salaries - 81% according to Dr. Hayes. Last night Roseanne Kwaks complained that "the kids are only getting 20 cents on the dollar." Does she not realize that teachers teach kids?
  • There's been a lot of talk about needs vs. wants. A little at the Budget Committee meeting, but also quite a lot on Facebook. Is only meeting the minimum standards where we want to be? What does this say about our priorities? Hiding behind fiscal responsibility and suggesting that anything above the bare minimum is the Taj Mahal is a disgrace. I expect more from our elected officials. 
  • Dr. Hayes needs to do a better job explaining his plans for technology in our schools. I don't know what back-up data the Budget Committee has or doesn't have, but it was clear that they didn't understand the request for the iPads and how it fits into the bigger picture for the district. Not to mention, as a parent I think that it's exciting to hear about those plans for the schools and it makes me feel like we're headed in the right direction.
The Budget Committee will meet again on January 7th and 8th. At those meetings, the Budget Committee will ask any further questions of both the Town and the School and also discuss the proposed warrant articles. There will be time for public input at a hearing scheduled for January 14th. 

Mark your calendars.



No comments:

Post a Comment