Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Unacceptable

I haven't written in a few days, not because I don't have anything to say, but because I have so much swimming around in my head and I'm struggling to find clarity. 

First, I had the opportunity to tour Oyster River High School this week. It's a beautiful school. Not over the top, but well designed and appropriately equipped. The kids were smart and friendly and I can easily see Newmarket kids fitting in well. They had no shortage of technology--smart boards, overhead projectors, computer labs, writing centers, media etc. You get the idea. There was an auditorium, a media center, an art suite. 

I'm not ashamed to say that I walked through the halls and thought to myself, I want my kids to be in an environment like this. 

At a recent School Board meeting, Dr. Hayes talked about the heating problem at the Jr. Sr. High School and he made a comment that I haven't been able to get out of my head. "People have just accepted this."

I don't accept it. 

I don't accept the lack of heat. I don't accept the lack of technology. I don't accept the science classrooms that are half the size they should be. I don't accept that 10 out of 10 of the middle school classrooms don't meet the minimum size requirements. I don't accept that 4 out of 5 of the science labs don't meet state standards. I don't accept that people work in storage areas. I don't accept that there are classrooms without windows.

I admire the many people who have sent their kids through our school system despite the facilities because the quality of the teachers and the education outweighed the flaws in the building. 

But I can't accept that for my kids. 

A woman, a parent of a kindergartner, stood up at the deliberative session and talked about the need to keep families in Newmarket. Her family is thinking about their future. Don't let young families leave. She articulated what many of us are thinking.

Don Jutton, someone I don't find myself quoting often, said at a meeting back in June, "Those who can afford to leave, will." He was talking about the tax rate, but it applies to the school situation also. 

And then people talk about adding new construction along Rt. 108--bringing more rentals and probably more children into this system before we've figured out our solutions. I can't wrap my head around this thinking. 

I came home from the tour on Monday and looked on the Newmarket Solutions website at pictures that were taken of our facility last year. The contrast is stark.

We need a solution. Maybe it's Oyster River, maybe it's a new school of our own. But more importantly, our town needs to make a commitment to all families and all residents here and the future families and the future residents of Newmarket to provide an adequate education for our students and ensure an educated community. 

And to be clear--we can fix the fire and life safety deficiencies, but our building will still be inadequate. 

We shouldn't accept that.

No comments:

Post a Comment