Saturday, February 2, 2013

Town Meeting Survival Guide

Newmarket held our Town Meeting today. Sitting in the bleachers for 6 hours isn't fun, but if this is going to be the norm, I need to make next year more bearable. The following is a list of things I either wish I had or am glad I had.

Snacks: Today's session started at 10am and continued until about 4pm with only about a 20 minute break in between the meetings. I brought a large coffee with me and several snacks (clementines, cheese and crackers and a Kind bar) and a couple bottles of water to get me through the day. Hopefully next year some worthy organization will sell coffee, water and baked goods as both a fundraiser and a public service.

Dress: My advice is to dress comfortably. Last year I wore a skirt and that was just a bad idea all around. Sitting in bleachers with a skirt on just doesn't work. I wore jeans today, but looked at a couple women wearing sweats with envy. Yoga pants and a comfy sweater might be the perfect alternative. I found this on Pinterest and I think this might be my new look for all occasions:

Democracy inspired fashion, anyone?


A Hobby: I'm jealous of all you knitters. I could have used something to keep me busy and stop the non-stop texting. Then again, if we had the internet available, I could have been live blogging (but if that isn't enough to make the BudComm block technology for our schools, I don't know what is.) 

Comfortable Chairs: I'm not really a sports-mom (or sports-anything, for that matter.) But I think I should invest in some kind of stadium seating. Maybe something like this:



Until then, Extra Strength Advil will have to be enough. 

Childcare: We were so lucky to have childcare provided by teachers and staff. It's an incredible relief-both emotional and financial-for many parents and I'm thankful for everyone who worked to make that happen. 

I still need to let it all sink in and then I'll write more about some of the specifics of the meeting in the next couple of days. All in all, it was a good day and I am glad to have been a part of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment