Thursday, January 31, 2013

Questioning the treatment.

I hope everyone reading this blog understands that we are not voting on a new school this year. I say that because some people are still under that assumption and I just don't want anyone to show up to the deliberative session and be disappointed. 

However, we WILL be voting on a new $14 million wastewater treatment plant. First, let me just say for the record (again) that I am absolutely in favor of the wastewater treatment plant. I think that it's the right thing to do for our town and for Great Bay.

What I can't quite figure out is why no one is screaming about whether or not we need it or if it's too big or not big enough, or what kind of features it has? Everyone seems to just accept the fact that it is something our community needs in order to continue to be responsible to the town and to the bay. 


So why is it that people don't view the school in the same way? The school is also a VITAL part of our town's infrastructure and will determine what kind of town we will be in the future.

I've heard people talk about EPA mandates. What about DoE mandates?

How come no one has asked if it's the Taj Mahal of wastewater treatment plants?

Our community seems to understand that it is a necessity, even though it will costs residents more. That an out of date, served-its-usefulness, wastewater treatment plant built in 1968 needs to be replaced. 


I wish everyone could understand that both things are integral to community - and our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment